Absentee Information

When does absentee voting start?

The Probate Judge is required by law to provide ballots and supplies to the Absentee Election Manager 55 days before an election. Applications are now being accepted for absentee ballots for the Presidential Primary Election deadline.

Back to Top

What are the qualifications for obtaining an absentee ballot?

There is no provision in Alabama law for early voting. You may vote absentee if you meet one of the following criteria and can make sworn affidavit as to one of the reasons stated below:


  • The voter will be out of the county or state on election day.
  • The voter has a physical illness or infirmity which prevents attendance at the polls.
  • The voter has a physical illness or infirmity which prevents attendance at the polls; is unable to access the assigned polling place due to a neurological, musculoskeletal, respiratory (including speech organs), cardiovascular, or other life-altering disorder that affects the voter's ability to perform manual tasks, stand for any length of time, walk unassisted, see, hear or speak and
    • (a) is an elderly voter aged 65 or older; or
    • (b) is a voter with a disability.
  • The voter works a shift which has at least ten (10) hours that coincide with the polling hours at their regular polling place.
  • The voter is a student at an educational institution located outside the county of their personal residence, at which prevents attendance at the polls.
  • The voter is a member of, or the spouse or dependent of a member of, the Armed Forces of the United States or is otherwise similarly qualified to vote absentee pursuant to the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act, 52 U.S.C. 20302. [ID Not Required]
  • The voter has been appointed as an election officer at a polling place which is not their regular polling place.
  • The voter is a caregiver for a family member to the second degree of kinship by affinity or consanguinity and the family member is confined to his or her home.
  • The voter is currently incarcerated in prison or jail and have not been convicted of a felony involving moral turpitude. 

Back to Top

How do I apply for an absentee ballot?

You can call the Absentee Election Office at (334) 683-6106 or come by and pick up an application at the office of the Absentee Election Manager at the Perry County Courthouse in Marion. The Address is P.O. Box 508, Marion, Alabama 36756. You can also download the form available in the AlabamaVotes.gov or http://www.sos.state.al.us/Elections/AbsenteeVotingInfo.aspx. PLEASE READ INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU FILL OUT AND MAIL IN YOUR APPLICATION.  Your ID must accompany your application.

Back to Top

Where do I mail the application?

The application must be mailed to: Mia Jacobs-Turner, Absentee Election Manager, P.O. Box 508, Marion, Alabama 36756. By law (AG Opinion 82-551), each application must be mailed in a separate envelope. Multiple applications (even for husband and wife) which are mailed in the same envelope will be returned to the voter. Applications cannot be faxed to the Absentee Election Manager. For voter applications and absentee applications visit: AlabamaVotes.gov.

Back to Top

Can I vote absentee in person?

Yes, you can come by the Absentee Election Manager's office Monday through Friday 8:00AM - 4:30PM (except on holidays) and complete an application and vote while you are in the office. The cut-off date is Thursday (five days before an election). The address is 300 Washington Street, Suite 110, Marion, AL 36756.

Back to Top

If I am voting absentee by mail, when do I send in the copy of my ID?

A current valid photo ID must accompany your application, unless you qualify for exemption.  Once we receive your application and ID, we will mail out your ballot and supplies. Please read your instructions carefully as to how it is to be returned. 

Back to Top

How do I find out where my voting precinct is?

You can call the Perry County Board of Registrars at (334) 683-2218 for information on your voting precinct.

Back to Top

Does my absentee ballot have to be witnessed or notarized?

Yes, by law, your ballot must either be notarized OR witnessed by two people 18 years of age or older. These may be other family members. If your ballot has not been notarized or witnessed by 2 people, it will not be counted.

Back to Top

I have a relative serving in the military, how can they vote absentee?

Any military personnel can contact the military voting assistance officer and request Standard Form 76-A which is a Federal Post Card Absentee Ballot Request. It is postage pre-paid. These applications are good for all elections in the same calendar year, so once this application is received, the applicant will automatically be mailed or emailed (if that is the selected method of receipt) a ballot for upcoming elections they are eligible to vote in. For more information, go to fvap.gov. You can also download an Absentee Ballot Application from this website. The Absentee Election Manager should be notified if there is a change of address of military voter between elections.

Back to Top

Bring your application along with a picture ID to the Absentee Election Office located at the Perry County Courthouse, 300 Washington Street, Suite 110, Marion, AL 36756.  

Or, mail completed application with ID, if required, to the address indicated below. Only one application may be mailed in each envelope. A ballot will then be mailed to you at the address you indicate.  The last day to make application for absentee ballot for the 2020 General Election is October 29, 2020.  Applications can be mailed to:

Mia Jacobs-Turner
Absentee Election Manager
P.O. Box 508
Marion, AL 36756